Ogdensburg Public Library Trustee
- Trustees, in the capacity of trust upon them, shall observe ethical standards with absolute truth, integrity and honor.
- Trustees must avoid situations in which personal interests might be served or financial benefits gained at the expense of library users, colleagues, or the institution.
- It is incumbent upon any trustee to disqualify himself/herself immediately whenever the appearance or a conflict of interest exists.
- Trustees must distinguish clearly in their actions and statements between their personal philosophies and attitudes and those of the institution, acknowledging the formal position of the board even if they personally disagree.
- A trustee must respect the confidential nature of library business while being aware of and in compliance with applicable laws governing freedom of information.
- Trustees must be prepared to support to the fullest the efforts of librarians in resisting censorship of library materials by groups or individuals.
- Trustees who accept library board responsibilities are expected to perform all of the functions of library trustees.
*Under the title “Ethics Statement for Public Library Trustees,” this statement was adopted by the Board of Directors of the American Library Trustee Association and the Board of Directors of the Public Library Association, July 1985. Amended by the Board of Directors of the American Library Trustee Association, July 1988. The amendment was adopted by the Board of Directors of the Public Library Association, January 1989.
By signing below, I declare that I have received a copy of the Ogdensburg Public Library Trustee Ethics Statement, that I have read and understand the statement; and that I understand the Library is an educational, nonprofit organization and in order to maintains its federal tax exemption, it must engage primarily in activities, which accomplish one or more of its tax-exempt purposes.
This declaration will be kept on file at the Ogdensburg Public Library until superseded.
Trustee [Printed] ____________________________________________
Trustee [Signature] ____________________________________________